Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

To Wait or Not to wait for the big blind when you sit down to a table??

Conventional Wisdom seems to suggest that you should wait for the big blind to reach you before you jump into a game. Why pay in more money for a round of poker than you actually have to, right?... Well as far as I am concerned, being the fish that I am, I don's see a lot of good reason in this.

If I sit down to a 9 person table and I end up on the button I am supposed to wait 8 full hands until I should play? That could take up quite a bit of time. As far as I am concerned, unless I am one or two hands away from the big blind I don't mind buying in early. I make it a point to buy in for the table maximum anyway, and paying an extra .05 when I buy in for $5 (100x the big blind) doesnt really make a sizeable dent in my stack.


What if I'm playing a 6 handed table at the button when I sit down? Maybe I should be more patient and wait a few hands before its my turn, but once again I personally don't believe this will hurt me in the long run.
The only thing I fear is that I will be perceived as a fish if I sit at the table and throw in a blind before the actual big blind comes my way, or should I? Don't I want my opponents to think I am a worse player than I am as soon as I sit down at the table?

In this case it may be beneficial to take the contrarian standpoint. If i am sitting at a table with a player who buys in to a game early, I absolutely pigeon-hole him as a loose player and may even think of him as a novice because he couldn't wait for his big blind... hmmm. Maybe the trend is not your friend on this one.
Spending that extra big blind may immediately change your table image from the moment you sit down. And if you are a halfway decent player it should not interfere with your style of play.  I like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can I Wibiya 1 Million